commons-dev mailing list archives

From __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>
Subject Re: [collections][PROPOSAL] Remove Observable subpackage
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:25:48 GMT
I think it's a good idea to remove it.  At this point, [collections] is
so big that I'm +1 for removing all that we can.  I frequently get
OutOfMemoryExceptions when doing the maven build due to the size (from
the statcvs and linkcheck plugins).

Now as to where it should go, I always like the idea of doing it at
Apache if possible.

Here's an idea:

[collections] has already spawned off another subproject in
[primitives].  There is the alternative primitive collections (let's
call it [primitives2], I forget what the actual name is) that you have
at SourceForge, and now the possibility of [observable].  However, all
of these projects, in a way, still fall under the domain of [collections].

Perhaps it's time for collections to become a larger project which can
contain subprojects.  I'm not sure if this is doable in Jakarta Commons,
but maybe in top-level Jakarta or the newer Apache Commons?

All administrative burdens aside, this makes more sense to me.  The
current [collections] could become [collections-core], along with the
newer [collections-primitives] and [collections-observable].   This
would allow proper room to grow for each subproject -- while still
keeping related projects together.

I realize that this is a semi-radical idea, but maybe it's worth
considering?  At a minimum, I think it would provide the newer
subprojects with more visibility and possible promote a more active
community.