commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [site] Non-Maven web sites
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:47:22 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:
> I've updated the wiki page with the current status of all Commons Proper
> sites (and some of the sandbox sites). See:
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?CreatingStandardWebPresence
>
> The main thing that struck me, when putting this together, is the number
> of components that have both Maven and non-Maven sites. In all such cases,
> the non-Maven site is the one linked to from the main Commons page. The
> components in this state are:
>
>   BeanUtils
>   Collections
>   Digester
>   Discovery
>   Jexl
>   Lang
>   Logging
>   Modeler
>
> Is there any reason why we should not switch over to the Maven sites as
> the main sites right now, and "deprecate" the non-Maven versions?

There are two things that need to be resolved to make this happen,
AFAIK.  First, we need to settle the issue of what goes in CVS.  If "all
generated HTML" is the answer, we need to get all of the maven-generated
HTML committed (many megs of redundant content, many redundant commit
messages IMHO).  Second, we need to agree on a common nav (as stated on
the Wiki page).  My vote would be to use commons/incl_nav uniformly.
Several of the existing maven sites (both linked and unlinked) don't
include this.  I also agree with the Wiki proposal for the "standard"
pages (FAQ, examples, etc).

I deployed the lang maven site a couple of weeks ago and have been
waiting to see where the CVS debate ended up (and some cleanup of the
main site, so I could safely regenerate and commit all of the nav
changes) before linking it (with some fixes).

I am willing to help with this, starting with [lang] and [collections],
first getting the basic sites out and then adding the missing pages. I
am also willing to help document whatever site generation / cvs update
process we agree on.

Can we agree to omit the maven-generated HTML from cvs and use
commons/incl_nav for the standard nav?

Phil