commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk Verbeeck <dirk.verbe...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: [dbcp] PoolableConnectionFactory validation and synchronized methods
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:03:04 GMT
Todd,

Your issue is a different from the performance increase Brad proposes.
He is talking about a BasicDataSource pool like system with
PoolableConnectionFactory and a GenericObjectPool.
This pool is already optimized, the GenericKeyedObjectPool isn't.

I don't agree with your statement that the physical connection to the database
needs to occur lazily and inside activateObject.
The physical connection should be created in makeObject but the pool should be
  optimized not to synchronize the calls to makeObject.

The maps in KeyedCPDSConnectionFactory have something to do with the jdbc2
ConnectionEvents (see cpdsadapter.ConnectionImpl.close()).
Some synchronization is needed to protect these maps.

-- Dirk