commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [lang] accessing environment variables
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 04:15:42 GMT
__matthewHawthorne wrote:
> I posted something a while back about adding a method or class to access
> environment vars.  Henri suggested that I take a look at Ant's solution
> to this.
>
> Ant's env var access is obtained through their <execute> task.  This
> class has a lot of logic to handle different OS's, and I think that a
> refactored version may be a worthwhile addition to lang.
>
> I had my own small class to do this, but I would image that Ant's
> version has been more thoroughly tested and bulletproofed.
>
> Here's the link to Ant's Execute class.
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Execute.java?rev=1.70&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> Any thoughts?  I think this would be very useful -- just about every
> project that I've worked on has had to access env vars at some point or
> another.  And providing a nice simple way to execute system commands and
> grab the output would be cool.

While I can definitely see the value for this kind of capability in a
build script, I am not sure it belongs in [lang].  I am not violently
opposed, just not convinced that it belongs.  Could be I am thinking too
narrowly in terms of server apps, where I generally try to avoid system
calls and environment dependencies like the plague, since these things
can lead to brittle solutions and general deployment trauma. Seems like
a big PITA to support this kind of thing in a platform-independent (at
least from the user's standpoint) way that is safe to use in server
applications.

Phil