commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject [math] Proposal for Package restructuring and Class renaming
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:54:23 GMT
I have several modifications I'm planning to make, but in the spirit of
consensus I want to propose them and attempt to get some agreement. So
math developer opinions on the subject would be good.

1.) o.a.c.math.stat.distributions --> o.a.c.math.distributions

Gives this package a more "generic" position to hold more than just
"stat" distributions.

2.) Like in my last emails concerning "Univariate" I would like to, (and
have done so in my checkout successfully) Make the following Class changes:

interface o.a.c.m.stat.StoreUnivariate -->
            abstract class o.a.c.m.stat.DescriptiveStatistics

this actually becomes a factory class and uses Discovery to instantiate
new instances of the following implementations

*default implementation*
o.a.c.m.stat.StoreUnivariateImpl -->
           o.a.c.m.stat.univariate.StatisticsImpl

*alternate implementations*
o.a.c.m.stat.UnivariateImpl -->
           o.a.c.m.stat.univariate.StorelessStatisticsImpl

o.a.c.m.stat.ListUnivariateImpl -->
           o.a.c.m.stat.univariate.ListStatisticsImpl

o.a.c.m.stat.BeanListUnivariateImpl -->
           o.a.c.m.stat.univariate.BeanListStatisticsImpl

The benefit of this is that the Alternate Implementations can all be
instantiated from the o.a.c.m.stat.DescriptiveStatistics factories
newInstance(...) methods. Thus alternate implementations of
DescriptiveStatistics can be written as Service Providers and set in the
environment/JVM configuration. We can now write SP's for other tools
like Matlab, Mathematica, JLink, C++ libraries, R, Omegahat ... the list
goes on and on...

Someday, I'd like to see this design extended for Bivariate Statistics
and Regression Classes. Eventually for Random Number generation as well.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer