commons-dev mailing list archives

From ol...@bluewin.ch
Subject RE: [codec] Streamable Codec Framework
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:09:54 GMT
Tim, Gary, et al
Streamable codec framework would be a welcome addition to Commons Codec.
However, as far as we (Commons HttpClient) are concerned, the decision to
ditch java 1.2.2 support would render Codec unusable for us (and I'd guess
a few other projects that still need to maintain java 1.2.2 compatibility).
Not that we like it too much, but because lots of our users still demand
it.

We are determined to introduce Codec as a dependency for HttpClient as of
next point release (currently designated as 2.1). However, I foresee a lot
of popular pressure to abandon these plans in favour of retaining java 1.2.2
compatibility, should Codec require Java 1.3.x.

Cheers

Oleg