commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [Math] Commons Math Contributions
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:15:55 GMT
Mike and Matt,

To try to answer your questions as best as possible. First and foremost,
become familiar with the goals and guiding principles we initially set
out to maintain the math project here.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/proposal.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/developers.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/tasks.html

Mainguy, Mike wrote:
> I'm in the same boat, a good answer would be appreciated (I've gotten a wide
> variety).
>
> Another thing I'm wondering is should we add ourselves as an author when we
> submit a patch or is that just if you're a commiter?

Yes, you may provide a patch to project.xml with yourself as a
contributor when you make a submission via the bug track. However, to
avoid bloat of the contributors list, I'd recommend only doing it if you
strongly feel you need this acknowledgment.

> worse is better

Please use bugzilla to provide your patches for the math project

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

This is going to change slightly in the future as Math will become a
full fledged component in commons as opposed to the current posting to
the "sandbox". I think I will put together a xdoc that covers all this
detail further.

If this is all too confusing initially, please just post it to the list
until the changes in bugzilla occur and I publish this document.

>>   (2) What should I be working on?  (what do we need to do to get it to a
>>1.0 release?)

I think that our effort for 1.0 is fairly complete. Now we are just
trying to figure out the release process, stabilize the move out off the
sandbox etc.

>>I would be more comfortable doing some 'maintenance' type
>>work intially,  downstream I can offer more substantitve math  (I had
>>done a bunch of work with DASSL and DASPK and their applications to
>>Stochastic differential equations).

This is great, I think we need to explore more concerning DiffEq and
Stochastic processes. I think first we need to stabilize 1.0 get it out
and move forward with new additions and designs. Hang out on the list,
postulate ideas, your niche will become clearer over time.

>>   (3) Will there be a link on the
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html page to the Math Compont
>
> page?

There will be a link to the Math project on the commons front page, we
are trying to catchup and get everything ironed out with this. (I just
moved the cvs tree out of the sandbox last weekend.

>>   (4) I added a quick type-o patch for the tasks.xml doc to see if it
>>is the proper format.  (this is a cvs diff output)

Matt, thanks for the patch I'll apply it.

>>      The label said install Windows 98 or better so I installed
>>Linux.

:-) snicker

cheers,
Mark