commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [Math] common-math and bloated 3rd party libraries
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:05:23 GMT

David Graham wrote:

> In this case, it looks like commons-lang and commons-logging are only
> needed because math doesn't use Java 1.4 as the base level.  Moving to
> Java 1.4 has the advantage of providing exception chaining and logging in
> the Java core and eliminates 2 jars.  Obviously, the disadvantage is that
> 1.3 users can't use commons-math.
>
> The need to support 1.3 is diminishing over time.  Java 1.4 is available
> and runs well on all the major platforms I can think of.
>
> David

And really, in the long run, if your developing and your stuck back on
1.3.1, you have alot greater issues to be focusing on then adding a new
library to your tool. If your not focusing on making the transition off
an older obsolete JVM , your not going to be able to run on current
platforms. Specifically, why should we tailor our packages for your
obsolete code?

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory