commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver.He...@t-online.de (Oliver Heger)
Subject Re: [configuration] thread-safe?
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:00:21 GMT
Charles,

as I see nobody of the commiters has answered you so far. Then I will
try to give you a hint though I don't have written this code. So what
follows need not to be 100% correct.

Well, at the heart of the implementation of all so far existing
Configuration classes is an instance of the class SequencedHashMap from
common collections. So thread safety of [configuration] boils down to
the thread-safety of this class. The documentation in [collections]
states that the class is not thread safe, but this statement probably
refers to manipulation in multiple threads and not to read only access.
So it may be worth to ask the [collections] guys if read only access of
a SequencedHashMap instance from multiple threads is safe.

IMHO usage of ConfigurationFactory from a singleton is a good idea - if
it comes out that thread-safety is guaranteed and access is read only. I
think that is the easiest way of allowing application wide (okay:
classloader wide) access to the configuration. Maybe it would make sense
to support such a singleton like access directly in [configuration]?

I hope I could help you.

Oli