commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <ggreg...@seagullsw.com>
Subject RE: [lang] ToStringBuilder.reflectionToString() and statics.
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:01:14 GMT
Stephen,

Thanks for taking a look.

> > Deprecate in ReflectionToStringBuilder:
> +1

This is in CVS.

> ReflectionToStringBuilder.toStringWithStatics.
> -1
> I thought they would make things clearer, but I was wrong!

I tend to agree. I am not opposed to removing all 3 toStringWithStatics
methods. I will wait for a confirmation before nuking to make sure this is
what we really want. The important part is that the feature is available.

> You could have a   toStringStatics(Class, Class)  method. You can get the
> field metadata about static methods from the Class object. The method
> could
> only output static fields though, and I'm not sure how common the case is.

My current workaround works as long as it is possible to instantiate the
desired object for which one wants the static side info. I think I'll wait
until the non-instantiable case arises to code this up however; how XP ;-)

Gary