commons-dev mailing list archives

From Neil O'Toole <neiloto...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [collections][PROPOSAL] Remove Observable subpackage
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:17:17 GMT

--- __matthewHawthorne <matth@phreaker.net> wrote:
> I think it's a good idea to remove it.  At this point, [collections]
> is
> so big that I'm +1 for removing all that we can.  I frequently get
> OutOfMemoryExceptions when doing the maven build due to the size
> (from
> the statcvs and linkcheck plugins).
>
> Now as to where it should go, I always like the idea of doing it at
> Apache if possible.

Amen on that.

> Here's an idea:
>
> Perhaps it's time for collections to become a larger project which
> can
> contain subprojects.  I'm not sure if this is doable in Jakarta
> Commons,
> but maybe in top-level Jakarta or the newer Apache Commons?
>
> I realize that this is a semi-radical idea, but maybe it's worth
> considering?  At a minimum, I think it would provide the newer
> subprojects with more visibility and possible promote a more active
> community.

I think that's well worthy of consideration. Three [collections]
projects perhaps should entitle [collections] to it's own project
hierarchy, and I think it's vitally important to keep these projects
under the same roof rather than have them skulk off to the dark corners
of sourceforge where who knows what will become of them? ;)