commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: [io] Current plan?
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:48:18 GMT
Thanks for helping out!

I'm not sure that the last words have been spoken about this. IMHO most
of the deprecated methods using String parameters shouldn't be put into
IO, at least not the ones that can have the same signature with File
parameters (forceDelete etc.). They encourage bad practice. java.io.File
is much safer to work with (ex. considering the path separators). I've
encountered a lot of buggy code where people concatenated paths or got
problems with double path separators.

On 23.11.2003 21:21:04 Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > there was to say. Now it's already better and one of the next steps is
> > to create a FilenameUtils class with methods for people who work with
> > filenames instead of java.io.File. FileUtils is reserved for
> > java.io.File.
>
> Okay. I can get to work on this.
>
> The deprecated methods should be removed or goto FilenameUtils?

Jeremias Maerki