commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: [general][io][bzip2] BZip2, Tar and Zip libraries
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:55:10 GMT
(Comments below)

On 23.11.2003 09:26:02 Henri Yandell wrote:

> Commons-IO contains a tar package and a zip package under a compress
> package.
>
> Both came from Avalon's Excalibur, but originally from Ant, as far as
> life in Apache goes. The tar package is originally Tim Endres' public
> domain package.
>
> Both are available at:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/
>
> I would like to remove these from Commons-IO, as they don't really fit
> there. I also wonder if the Commons-BZip2 component is worth keeping there
> or if it should be removed.
>
> Does anyone mind?

No. They don't belong in IO. bzip2 is also a duplicate of Ant's bzip2
although I guess there will be differences but Ant's code will certainly
be more advanced.

> Does anyone have a better idea as to where they could live? Ant-tools
> seems most likely to be the definitive location for bzip2, tar and zip.

I'd like to see a "compression" package in either Jakarta Commons or
Apache Commons. IMHO Ant is not the right place for that code because
that way it won't be found. I guess we need to talk to the Ant guys
about that.

Jeremias Maerki