commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] Clover Test Coverage
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:40:43 GMT
--- Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
> Al Chou wrote:
> > --- "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu> wrote:
> >
> >>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/clover/index.html
> >>
> >>I have to say, I'm very impressed with the clover test coverage tool.
> >>This report is very cool and shows us exactly where coverage is low.
> >>
> >>However, I'm not convinced that test coverage = quality assurance. One
> >>could easily write tests that cause test coverage to score high while
> >>not being very informative in and of themselves.
> >

> > That's one of the overarching lessons in software testing.  There are some
> > pre-existing tests for commons.lang.StringUtils.split(*) that pass
> regardless
> > of how I order two operations in code I submitted in a patch yesterday.So
> > while the tests seem to exercise those methods and thus provide test
> coverage,
> > only one out of the three relevant tests is sensitive to those changes,
> which
> > makes me nervous about both the tests and what the lack of sensitivity to
> > changes says about the code (both the pre-existing code and my patch),
> because
> > it seems like the logic should be different depending on the task ordering.
>
> If you can improve the data coverage of the tests, please submit
> patches.  I agree that path converage is necessary but not sufficient
> for good tests. As bugs are identified, test cases should be added to
> cover the conditions leading to the failures.

I need to look at the code some more before I can figure out why the existing
tests are insensitive to what I thought was a necessary task sequence
reordering.  I dearly hoped last night to be able to create a test that would
catch this change; I really don't yet understand why the existing tests don't.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou