commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [general] screwed up Commons site
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:56:29 GMT
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > I assume you are talking about the docs at
> > /www/jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/.  The HttpClient site is
> > not maintained in CVS.  It is generated via Maven and published with
> > maven site:deploy.
>
> As far as I know, all sites are supposed to be in CVS, and checked out into
> the file system.  Amongst the reasons for this are to ensure that
> infrastructure can recover them rapidly in the event of a problem.  This
> includes sites generated by Forrest or Maven.

This makes a great deal of sense. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, none
of the Maven generated sites are checked in. That's probably because Maven
does so much (e.g. site:deploy) that it doesn't occur to people (including
myself) to take the extra step and check in the generated site.

I'm not aware of an actual policy that requires this, but it wouldn't be a
bad idea. Perhaps I'll bring that up on infrastructure@. In the meantime,
it would be a good policy for us to introduce to Commons, at least, while
we're in the process of sorting out our own web site infrastructure. I
will add something about this to the wiki page when I get a chance.

--
Martin Cooper