commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [math] re: move to Apache Commons
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:40:59 GMT
--- Brent Worden <brent@worden.org> wrote:

> [...]

+1

> 3) add ONE new math vertical/discipline for the next release.  For instance,
> we could chose to add a FFT implementation which some people have expressed
> a desire to have.

I think any decisions in the vein of (3) should be largely use-case-driven.
While it's fun to design and talk about fancy functionality, I have to ask what
use something like (not to pick on this specifically, but it's a good example
to my mind) numerical differentiation is likely to be put to by typical
programmers.  Because I've swung in my programming tasks from adaptive-stepsize
numerical ODE integration to mostly automating/scripting OS tasks, I have no
experience outside of full numerical computing of what someone would want some
of Commons Math's current and currently discussed future functionality for.  I
keep harping on this point, but I'd love to hear about actual usage examples
from anyone out there.

> 4) make another release.

+1 <g>  Of course I want to see us keep going!

Al