commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Web Presence for ALL Jakarta Commons components
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:56:40 GMT

--- Martin Cooper <martinc@apache.org> wrote:

> > > Yet another set of components that are not on the Jakarta Commons
> > > web page (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/).  Did it never occur
> > > to anyone that projects might be comotose because no one knows
> > > about them?  I, for one, have code that could have gone in there,
> > > but I didn't know it existed.
> >
> > Can we agree on how to handle these projects?  Every project in the
> CVS
> > ought to have a web presence.  If there isn't anyting particularly
> useful
> > (no one created web content), then we should at least list it with a
> URL to
> > its CVS presence.  I think we discussed this before, but no one
> effected a
> > change.
>
> IMHO, the best way to handle this is to have ONE mechanism to build ONE
> web site for ONE Jakarta project - i.e. Jakarta Commons. Right now, each
> component is responsible for putting up its own web presence, and many
> folks who drop things into the sandbox do not bother doing that - or
> even
> providing any documentation at all to indicate what it is / does.
>
> If we could decide on one mechanism for generating web content (Maven
> would be my choice because it does so much for so little work), and have
> mechanism that would create a unified Commons web site, that would be
> great.

I am also a big fan of Maven.

> As you suggest, any component that doesn't have any web content
> could still have at least a link to CVS. (Or perhaps there's a way to
> generate a minimal Maven site even in these cases?)

What about when one component X's build is broken and I want to update
component Y's website?  Do I have to fix X's build or just wait for X to
be fixed?  What if component X has site updates that are in progress and I
publish them prematurely with Y's update.  I'm reluctant to push updates
to the commons website because of the build and the risk for ruining the
entire site.  As it is now, I just ruin my own component.

Of course, all components' builds should work and site updates be
committed in one step but are we certain that will happen every time?
Especially with people new to the commons?

> The autonomy given to Commons components is nice in some ways, but in
> other ways I think it hurts us, and the "outside" perception of us. I
> think it would behoove us to improve our behaviour as a single entity,
> rather than simply an accretion of handy bits and pieces.

Certainly, the differing build systems and websites are a problem.  I'm
just not comfortable yet with the idea that I have to build all
component's sites to update a small piece of a component I'm directly
working on.

David