commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [General] New sandbox component idea
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:59:56 GMT
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, David Graham wrote:

> Is Commons a place for web applications?  I've always thought it was for
> small components to be used in web apps.

I agree that this doesn't "feel" right. Interestingly, our charter doesn't
appear to preclude this kind of thing, and there is precedent, albeit
comatose, in the sandbox 'filters' and 'servlet' components.

However, my own feeling is that Commons should focus on components of the
'library' kind, rather than the 'tool' kind, as was the original intent
(at least as I understand it). This, of course, begs the question of where
handy little servlets and filters should go. I don't have a good answer
for that, but wherever it is, it would seem reasonable to me to have
Yoav's webapp, the sandbox 'filters' and 'servlet' components, and perhaps
more comprehensive versions of some of the sample Tomcat filters, all land
up in the same place.

--
Martin Cooper