commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <>
Subject Re: [math] BeanUtils, BeanTransformers and BeanListUnivariate
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:52:13 GMT
--- "Mark R. Diggory" <> wrote:
> I'm starting to consider that the implementations we have of higher-end
> Univariates (ListUnivariate/BeanListUnivariate) are a bit premature.
> In Repast they/we encountered that reflection costs tend to make wanting
> to work with Collections as the core of a mathematical evaluation a bit
> costly, In RePast the solution to this was to pickup the trove API
> (similar to BCEL) and actually generate bytecode optimizations of these
> types of method calls on the Collections of Objects.
> Are we at a point where something like BeanListUnivariate (While a nice
> example usage of the API) is not something we ideally want to get people
> using when we release as it may require significant improvement or
> re-evaluation. If so, one trick would be to move its implementation into
> the test package hierarchy, as such we would be making it an Example
> usage of the API and not a full fledged Implementation people would use
> in the Long run.

It would be nice to see how people are actually using Commons-Math before we
provide something like this functionality.  While I would err toward guessing
that people are doing the more bare-bones numerics I used to do, others might
not, and only real usage will tell us whether it's needed as a core feature.

> Also, I've been considering some naming and consolidation of the lower
> end "Univariate" API. I think this is poorly named (think we discussed
> this before).  I'm considering that Abstract/StoreUnivariate/Impl should
> probably be named "DescriptiveStatistics". and that
> Abstract/Univariate/Impl "StorelessDescriptiveStatistics" or
> "LiteDescriptiveStatistics"
> Any thoughts? This would also allow us to remove runtime dependencies on
> commons-logging and bean-utils.

I never liked the Univariate label, and I have a feeling many users would be
confused by it.  Also, it seems to beg the question of extension to more than
one dimension -- is the next one Bivariate (and the one after that Trivariate,
etc.), or do we jump immediately to Multivariate?

Albert Davidson Chou

    Get answers to Mac questions at .

Do you Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, e-mail: