commons-dev mailing list archives

From Janek Bogucki <...@studylink.com>
Subject Re: [collections] CaseInsensitiveHashMap
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:22:52 GMT
On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 10:37, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Thinking about this some more, the semantics of keySet() would be
> difficult with "CompositeMap" approach that I have suggested above.  We
> would either have to require that T be idempotent - i.e., T(T(x)) = T(x)
> or have the user supply a (partial) inverse transformer to return *a*
> pre-image for each transformed key.
>
> Phil

Not quite sure if I understood your point entirely but it would not be
possible to supply an inverse transformation for the lowercase operation
because it is a many to one function. Perhaps you covered this with the
word 'partial'  but I don't see what you mean by that. What's a partial
inverse transformer?

-Janek