commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rob Oxspring" <roxspr...@imapmail.org>
Subject Re: [CLI] 2.x Tasks
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:30:50 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Keyes" <jbjk@mac.com>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [CLI] 2.x Tasks

> >> Here's a toy example:
> >>
> >> -topleft -x 10 -y 10 -bottomright -x 20 -y 20
> >>
> >> where the group is the x and y Arguments.
> >>
> >> Does that make any sense?
> >
> > Annoyingly, yes. :)
> >
> > So the problem is that when querying a CommandLine configured by the
> > above
> > we have no way of which -x and -y go with which -topleft and
> > -bottomright.

This is the problem you're trying to solve right?

> > The only way to achive this query is to use the path of the options
> > along
> > the lines of:
> >     xValue = commandLine.getValue("-topleft","-x");
> > I don't see any reason for limiting the path length so I guess the api
> > needs
> > to allow for an array / list / iterator or similar.  Of course this
> > means
> > that the current option->values map is no longer up to the job, and
> > some
> > path->values is going to be needed.  I'm beginning to think that we
> > need an
> > object to represent a option's path to key from.
>
> Well my idea was to have an inclusive group.  So we could have:
>
> Group coords = gBuilder.withOption(x)
>                         .withOption(y)
>                         .withType(Group.INCLUSIVE);
>
> Option topleft = oBuilder.withShortName("topleft")
>                           .withOption(coords)
>                           .create();
>
> Option bottomright = oBuilder.withShortName("bottomright")
>                               .withOption(coords)
>                               .create();
>
> Then the process logic in GroupImpl will check that all
> of the options in that group are present, if not throw
> a MissingOptionException.
>
> How does that sound?  This sounds like a much simpler
> solution rather than the Path proposal.  If I am
> missing something let me know.

That should work fine for parsing and validating but there is still the
problem at the interrogation stage.  When the querying code then does a

List xValues = cl.getValues(x);

It'll be faced with the values of both the topleft x and the bottomright x,
in an order dependant on the command line arguments supplied.  This would
work but it seems to me that we should do more.

That make sense?

Rob