commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject RE: [General] New sandbox component idea
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:31:14 GMT
Is your "utility" tied to Tomcat or can it run in any other servlet
container also?  If it is written against the servlet API in general, you
could even load balance a heterogeneous servlet container cluster!  That
would be interesting to see!

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 1:05 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: RE: [General] New sandbox component idea

Howdy,

>Are you aware of:
>
>   http://www.apache.org/~fhanik/
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/cluster-howto.html

Yup, and I use them.  This is a bit different, in two ways:
- It's pure tomcat (or rather, pure servlet container, since there's nothing
tomcat-specific), without Apache or Balance or another load-balancer in
front.  Satisfied by pure java cravings ;)

- It's rule-based load balancing, rather than round-robin offered by Balance
or the (relatively) simple mod-rewrite type redirection you can do with
apache.  I have rules that consult Beans which in turn cache DB data, for
example, in order to make redirection decisions.  There are other
interesting options ;)

Yoav Shapira

sender.  Thank you.