commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Essl <christiane...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] Initializable
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:07:11 GMT
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:45:32 -0400, Howard M. Lewis Ship
<hlship@comcast.net> wrote:

> I agree, which means nothing needs to be passed; if the core
> implementation needs to vend out the
> proxy, it can use the BuilderFactory to assign the proxy to a property.
> Perhaps another attribute
> of <contruct> to specify which property it should be assigned to.

I agree the property should be there. But is there a special reason you
want to remove it
form the Initializable. For me it was a cheap way to get the outher
representation (I did not
know this was not always the case).

>> Concerning Threaded model: I'd rather see if ServiceImplementations
>> which can be used for Threaded must implement a marker interface (as in
>> old Servlet-spec).
> I think that's an interesting idea; threaded core impls must implement a
> Threadable marker interface; pooled implementations must implement a
> Poolable interface.

Maybe we should even get stronger: service-interfaces must implement a
Threadable marker. There are also differences
in the usage. Especially if a Service holds state. (However I am not sure
about that. It is a question of the contract.)

> Hm.  Marker interfaces as a precurser to JD 1.5 code attributes.

You are right marker interfaces are not nice if you see JD 1.5 on the
horizont. The question is wheter we want to wait with this until we don't
need JD 1.4 compliance anymore.

--
Christian Essl http://jucas.sourceforge.net