commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Knut Wannheden" <knut.wannhe...@paranor.ch>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] extend BuildFactory to use static fields/methods
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:40:11 GMT
Allowing to use something like OGNL and/or Jython sounds like a very
interesting addition. But it can certainly make a hivemodule.xml a lot
harder to read and understand, especially if the code does more than just
navigation (querying). Right now the files are very descriptive and
readable.

Until then I'll just use my own factory service to access static members.

--knut

"Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hlship@comcast.net> wrote in message
That seems like a different kind of service factory than BuilderFactory.
There's no reason why
BuilderFactory has to be the only game in town, or be the kitchen sink ...
we can have multiple
factories, even special purpose or single purpose factories.

There's a tradeoff between trying to address every special case in advance
and managing the
documentation (not to mention the end-user's understanding of the
framework). The more we put in,
the more the users have to figure out.

My experience with Tapestry is that if you provide a good, flexible platform
the users will tell you
what they need.  HiveMind already puts Tapestry to shame (which makes sense,
from my larger view of
what HiveMind is intended for ... I split it out of Tapestry 3.0 so that I
could use it in Tapestry
3.1).

What's the biggest problem with Tapestry today?  The documentation hasn't
kept up with the code and
people are *very* frustrated.

So, for each feature, I've been asking myself:
- Is this absolutely necessary?
- Does it have to be in the core framework?
- How will I document this feature?

Finally, I think the best solution for a more general purpose service
implementation factory is to
make use of OGNL and/or Jython. With those solutions, you can basically
"code" inside
hivemodule.xml.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship