commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [math] Complex implementation
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:04:25 GMT

As an answer to the thread mentioned, it suggests that two implementations
of the Complex number functionality are available:

1) VNI's.
2) Colt's.

This is no longer true, and the reason for me starting this thread. VNI no
longer have their implementation online and the url provided in the email
thread no longer takes you to the javadoc.

This is made worse by the fact that Colt's implementation is in fact
nothing but the VNI implementation. There is 1 implementation from 2
sources, the original of which just shut up shop.

I agree with Roger Endo on Complex number usage. We're using it in FFT's
amongst other places.

So I'm left with Colt. This has legal problems. While VNI's licence is
unspecified, Colt includes GPL licenced works. So this rules it out for
some uses. In fact, as people here at work are starting to suggest applets
rather than flash interfaces, I could be facing a situation in which I
cannot download a fresh Complex number implementation which I can legally
use.

I see no reason not to go with Phil's classes, unless it's to ask VNI if
they'd like to submit their popular Complex class.

Hen