commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/dbcp build.xml
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:58:12 GMT
> Was there discussion on removing support for building with pre-jdk1.4?
> Why do this now?

I also disagree with removing support for pre-JDK 1.4.  Every single time we
ask our users about JDK 1.4, we hear loudly and clearly that there are a lot
of people still using JDK 1.3, and who are not in a position to move
forward.

> I see a benefit in building the source from its cvs location
> without pre-processing, but could we postpone the change till
> after the release?

The process only preprocessed for older versions:

 <target name="prepare-jdbc3" unless="jdbc3.present">
    <echo message="Commenting out the jdbc3 additional methods since jdbc3
was not detected."/>
    <replace dir="${dest.src}" token="/* JDBC_3_ANT_KEY_BEGIN */"
value="/*"/>
    <replace dir="${dest.src}" token="/* JDBC_3_ANT_KEY_END */" value="*/"/>
 </target>

So the people who "pay the penalty" are those using older JDKs.

Requiring people to compile DBCP with JDK 1.4 and the rest of their app with
JDK 1.3 isn't nice, and they cannot just compile with JDK 1.4, and run on
JDK 1.3.  Classes compiled with JDK 1.4 are NOT guaranteed binary compatible
with JDK 1.3.  For example, when compiling, JDK 1.4 class may have a new
method that matches better than the one present in JDK 1.3.  The JDK 1.4
compiler will choose that method, which will cause a runtime error on JDK
1.3.

	--- Noel