commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Charles Crouch" <charles_cro...@hotmail.com>
Subject [configuration] thread-safe?
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:25:39 GMT
Hi

I'm looking to use the configuration package and wanted to wrap it in my own
Singleton e.g.
MyConfiguration.getInstance().getProperty(key). The ConfigurationFactory,
referencing various Properties files, would get setup in the constructor of
MyConfiguration.

If I do not intend to add properties at run time, is it ok to use
MyConfiguration in a mutli-threaded environment, i.e. once the
ConfigurationFactory has been loaded up, is it safe for multiple threads to
retrieve properties at the same time.

I'd really appreciate some advice if the Singleton pattern is not the
recommend approach. I'm trying to  centralise where the Configuration is
setup and also trying to ensure that the Properties files would only get
read in once, rather than each call to retrieve a property.

Thanks in advance
Charles