commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] plugins: patch for logging
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:34:18 GMT
On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 10:17 PM, Simon Kitching wrote:

> Hi,

hi simon

i'm not totally convinced that your patch is the best possible approach
but i think that it's an improvement so i've committed it. it's pretty
much the baseline required for compatibility with the rest of digester. we
need another digester release sometime soonish so maybe this needs
thinking about sooner rather than later.

> Robert: thanks for committing the plugins Exception patch.
>
> Here is a patch to convert the Plugins module logging to always use the
> Log object returned by digester.getLogger().
>
> I still think that the way Digester centralizes logging is flawed.
> However I have more interest in getting plugins finished than debating
> logging, so this patch should resolve any arguments for the moment.

nothings every finished :)

at leastways, no open source code ever is. the only problem is energy (but
i guess that's down to the second law of thermodynamics).

> Maybe sometime later I will think about the logging issue and put
> forward a more concrete proposal. At least now I think I understand the
> requirements that led to the current implementation.

i've been thinking about this for a little while and i think that i now
have some ideas about the way i'd prefer logging to work which should
preserve backwards compatibility. (i'd like to put setters and getters for
the logs on each class and then set then from parent to child as they are
created. )

> As the governor of California would say, "I'll be back".. :-)

i'll look forward to that. i'd certainly like to encourage you to stay
involved with digester.

> Regards,
>
> Simon
>
> PS: I hope I've got the right licence header on new file LogUtils.java
> this time!

did i miss one the other time?

(i'm not convinced that there aren't a few more typos in the licenses but
these are common to all of digester so i'll probably end up running some
more of my scripts against them.)

- robert