commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Scripting in Java ?
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 03:00:07 GMT
I think its important to point out that BSF is really a "Generic
Framework" for plugging in other scripting engines (analogous to how
JAXP is to SAX/DOM or JNDI is to LDAP). As such, there wouldn't be a
tremendous amount of activity to improve upon it because its primarily a
set of Front end API's with what amount to Service Providers for each
scripting engine. Not much needs to go into supporting it because all
the development activity is actually going into the underlying
implementations provided by various vendors.

So with this in mind you can actually plug jython, rhino, etc into it
and use it as a generic api for your java development. It allows you to
explore different scripting engines to meet your needs without actually
having to rewrite the Java code that integrates your Java program with
the scripting environment.

Best overview I've seen to date:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2000/jw-03-beans.html

I think you'll also find BSF hidden inside a number of major projects
out there:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/doc/v40/ae/infocenter/was/040205.html
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensions.html#supported-lang
http://struts.sourceforge.net/struts-bsf/

Must have done something right, if this is the case.

Its important to also understand Jython is the next generation of
JPython or supersedes it. In other words the JPython developers moved
over to Jython.

-Mark Diggory

Mark Mascolino wrote:
> You might consider Jython ( http://www.jython.org/ ) which also has an