commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Chain]: k2d2 framework
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:28:16 GMT
Ted Husted wrote:

> otisg wrote:
>
>> k2d2 looks like a concrete implementation of an API that is
>> defined within the k2d2 framework itself.  The implementation
>> allows generic components to be assembled in a chain, and
>> connected with blocking queues.  I guess this is where the
>> concreteness of k2d2 shows - it is more than just the API. However,
>> Chain also has some concrete implementations, so I was
>> wondering why not also provide a concrete implementation that
>> k2d2 provides, but change it to implement Chain's API, not the
>> one that k2d2 defines internally.
>

> I guess that would be up to the k2d2 community, then. :)
>
> The concrete implementations we have now are either minimal or based
> on published specifications, like the Servlet and Portlet APIs and
> JavaServer Faces. These are as much as proofs of concept as anything
> else.
>
> I have wondered where implementations for more specialized usage might
> live. For example, a StrutsContext or ActionCommand (<brrr/>), or a
> Velocity Context that implemented the Chain Context, or likewise for
> the many other packages that implement a Context and/or a Command
> interface.
>
> My inclination would be that they should live in the communities that
> can best support them. So if k2d2 wanted to base their implementation
> on Chain, then that implementation might be live in the k2d2 CVS.
> Likewise for implementations that catered to the Struts or Velocity
> communities.

My feeling that commons-chain should only contain concrete
implementations that are truly generic (like LookupCommand), plus
context (and perhaps command) implementations for platforms (o.a.c.c.web
and friends).  Something like a StrutsContext should live in
jakarta-struts, VelocityContext in jakarta-velocity, and so on.

> -Ted.

Craig