commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Complex implementation
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:40:32 GMT
Henri,

I know we've talked about this before, It's not fresh in my mind why we
decided against it.

Some thoughts:

http://www.ipd.uka.de/JavaParty/cj/
http://aspen.ucs.indiana.edu/CandCPandE/jg99papers/C445JGFSIcomplexphilippsenFINAL/resubmitC445/complexe.pdf

I'm worried that we'ed be re-inventing a lowgrade OO version of Complex.
I think anything would be somewhat temporary until something like this
actually occurs:

http://java.sun.com/people/darcy/complex-proposal.html

Not to suggest I'm not for creating a Complex class, I just know we have
issues. Whate ever happened to the efforts at JCP to solve the complex
matrice conundrum?

-Mark

p.s. We really need to get out of the sandbox, can we startup a thread
to review where we're at? I know developers/contributors like
Pietschmann have done alot of effort in the last few weeks. I need to
get into the Bug trak and apply some patches.

J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> Just to bring this subject up again.
>

> Can you provide a short proposal what you need? A Complex class
> with the usual operations and functions (norm(), arg(), exp(),
> log(), sin() etc...), similar to j.m.Integer?
>
> J.Pietschmann

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center