commons-dev mailing list archives

From __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>
Subject Re: [primitives] Package layout strategy
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:33:11 GMT
The problem is: how to properly package the massive amount of primitive
collection classes.  I see this as a valid problem.  Leaving well enough
alone is a possibility, another is to discuss if there are better
options.  That's what is taking place here.

Waiting until there is a real-world use-case for primitive Maps is an
option.  However, since many of the other collection types have been
covered, I think that basic Map implementations are a necessity for a
release.  Now, the amount of Maps could be many, in which case it may be
wise not to get too deep into ordering and other algorithms and types.
Having real world users of these classes would be nice, but given the
nature of the classes, I don't think it would have much affect on the
outcome, it all seems pretty monotonous.  That's why a lot of the code
can be generated.

I don't think that every class in commons had a use case before it was
created.  When thinking about possible additions, I'm sure that a lot of
brainstorming occurs.  This may have both good and bad effects.  But as
long as the code is documented well, and has test cases, I don't see
this as a big deal.