commons-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: commons-logging & classloading
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:25:20 GMT
Will Jaynes wrote:
>> I believe the current commons-logging implementation is just fine.
>> However, containers which use it (such as Tomcat) must include it in a
>> very specific way to have it work fine in all situations. I believe
>> you won't experience any problems with Tomcat 5.
>>
>> The way to use it is what you say: place your logger, its
>> configuration, as well as the commons-logging logger plugin (or the
>> full JAR, as you wish) in your /WEB-INF/lib.
>>
>> Remy
>
> Remy, This how I've handled things up to now. But now I would like to
> use HttpClient, which uses commons-loggin. Are you saying that the
> proper way to handle components that use commons-logging is to put them
> in WEB-INF/lib; that all such components can not be shared at the server
> level?

No, this works fine. This is the same situation as Jasper (which uses
c-l, and is in commons/lib).
As I said, put your logger, its configuration, as well as the
commons-logging logger plugin (or the full JAR, as you wish) in your
/WEB-INF/lib. You should be able to share them also if you want to.

c-l is rather hard to understand if you're using it inside a container
like Tomcat (sorry, I screwed up since c-l changed its behavior a few
times, and only TC 5 will behave right in all cases), but what it does
is the best for flexible container environments. There's even a way to
unregister a classloader when reloading webapps (Craig rulz !).

Remy