commons-dev mailing list archives

From Will Jaynes <jay...@umich.edu>
Subject Re: commons-logging & classloading
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:42:00 GMT
Yoav,
I, too, use log4j directly in my own classes. But we all use components
that use commons-logging, so we have to deal with it.

No one has yet described for me a use case where the current
commons-logging classloading strategy is necessary or even correct.
Whereas I have described a use case where it clearly fails, and have
implemented a code change that fixes the problem for my use case.

As far as I can tell, commons-logging is just plain broken. But I have a
lot of respect for the developers here, and clearly they have thought
about this issue a lot. So I'm left wondering what I'm missing.

Is it an excepted implementation fact that components that use
commons-logging can't be shared at the web app server level?

Will