commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Convert] Mandate (draft)
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:18:48 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

>Thanks Matt :) I'm going to go ahead and commit the codebase I've got at
>the moment. Continued inline...
>
>On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Sgarlata Matt wrote:
>

>>Hen reminded me I promised to do this, so here is a first crack at a mandate
>>for the proposed Convert sandbox component.  One thing I was thinking about
>>is the name.  Convert is rather dull, how about calling it Morph instead?
>>

>I like dull :) Dull doesn't need marketing or religion, it just slowly
>gains users.

The original Commons Charter recommended "dull" functional names as well
-- in the sense that the names should be as descriptive as possible of
the underlying functionality, not some made-up word or association that
nobody has a clue about.  Why that text disappeared is something I need
to research separately.  In the mean time (and as a Jakarta PMC member
as well as an active Commons contributor), -1 on foo-foo names for
Commons packages that don't have any linkage to reality.  +1 on
"convert" (or something similar) to cover this particular functional area.

If your code can't earn new users on its own merits without a whiz-bang
name, it doesn't belong in Jakarta Commons.

>>I don't know what format we want this mandate in, so for now I have a copy
>>in M$ Word that I will convert (pun intended) to the appropriate format
>>later.  Here is a text copy of it:
>>

>If you look in a Commons project, it has a PROPOSAL.html. This is the
>format. However, it ought to be written by an Apache committer so your
>text below would be something I [or someone else] would splice in.
>
>Hen

Craig