commons-dev mailing list archives

From Harish Krishnaswamy <hkrishnasw...@comcast.net>
Subject [HiveMind] Re: Tapestry exception report incomplete?
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 21:04:20 GMT

Bill Lear wrote:

>On Thursday, October 2, 2003 at 16:41:38 (-0400) Harish Krishnaswamy writes:
>

>>Ha..ha.. I had the same problem this past weekend and I raised it in the
>>HiveMind list. The reason Tapestry cannot show the exception is because
>>it does not know. HiveMind, when it builds the registry, only *logs* the
>>errors, it does *not* throw an exception and crash. So the only way to
>>find this out would be to check the logs. I did not even have the logger
>>setup so I spent even more time stepping through the debugger and
>>figured the stupid typo problem :(
>>

>So why does this appear in the log:
>

>>org.apache.commons.hivemind.ApplicationRuntimeException: Unable to read descriptor
file:/opt/jakarta/.jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18-LE-jdk14/webapps/rael_eci/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/hivemodule.xml:
Unexpected element service-point within module (at file:/opt/jakarta/.jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18-LE-jdk14/webapps/rael_eci/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/hivemodule.xml,
line 5).

>Is Hivemind just catching this, reporting it, and moving on?

Yup.

>Why not just toss the thing and let the app catch it?

My understanding is, from a microkernel standpoint, it is not supposed
to crash just because one module or service had a problem, you know like
the containers, they just report the problem and move on. But the
containers have a console or a designated log file that one can take a
look at, but HiveMind does not have either, that will be a problem for
the uninformed, I think.