commons-dev mailing list archives

From Samuel Cheung <SChe...@Novarra.com>
Subject RE: [HiveMind] Not only service orientated but also plugin orient ated
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:07:42 GMT
Could you please tell me where I can find examples of using HiveMind?

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Essl [mailto:christianessl@yahoo.de]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 10:05 AM
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: [HiveMind] Not only service orientated but also plugin
orientated

I think currently on the front-page of hivemind it is not so clear anymore
that with hivemind you can do basicly the same thing as with Avalon, Pico,
Spring etc. but also eclipse style plugin archtiecutes. But exactly this
combination is (to me) the greatest advantage of hivemind compared to the
others.

I think the difference is that in a service-architecuter the service-
definers specifies exactly which other services his service uses. On the
otherhand in a plugin-archticture (like eclipse) she does not she rather
gives an extension-point where others can specify which services are used
(called, informed etc) by the defined service. It has another direction in
the control definition.

Which sort of architecture suites better depends naturally on the
application but both have a lot of code in common and therefore HiveMind
has a real advantage over other frameworks.

Maybe this could be made clearer in the docs.

Thanky you,
Chris

--
Christian Essl http://jucas.sourceforge.net