commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [primitives] First steps
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:17:15 GMT
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Are you certain that this makes sense from a commons perspective? To release
> a version of collections with these classes in only to immediately remove
> them?

Yes, but I think you misunderstand me.  The nightly builds have contained
collections.primitives for nearly a year.  The maven -SNAPSHOT build has
as well. To suddenly drop those classes from those JARs seems
unnecessarily abrubt.  Why not:

1) Deprecate commons.collections.primitives, with pointers to
commons.primitives

2) Upload a dated maven snapshot and -SNAPSHOT JARs with that version

before removing the classes from commons-collections.

This warns users of the change, and gives a binary equivalent to what
their used to.  Quick and painless and I'll take care of it.

> The proposed 0.1 release of primitives has exactly the same classes, in the
> same packages, unaltered. The only change for a user of nightly builds is to
> add/move to a different jar file.
>
> This recognises that there are nightly build users to be looked after (who I
> would venture to say actually have relatively few rights in terms of
> complaining about compatability). These users have some change to cope with
> yes, but one that is trivial to deal with (a new jar file).  This seems
> entirely reasonable to me.
>
> A 0.1 release of primitives is ready to go as far as I can see. It just
> waits a vote, plus a release manager. Is there a reason not to do this?

Calling this release 0.1 suggests it's about an order of magnitude less
production ready than it is.  Why not 1.0?

--
- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>