commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Problem In Connecting to FTP site outside fire wall
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:40:02 GMT

In message <B24FABB430F7C94D942D6386447C93DC05E8A7FD@tayexc17.americas.cpqcorp.
net>, "Ahmed, suhel" writes:
>I am started using Apache Commons Net package for Java FTP Application ,
>presently I am facing problem in connecting to Remote FTP Server , Its
>very helpful if some one tells me how to connect to remote FTP using
>socks. If possible kindly provide me code piece to do same.

When using FTP from behind a firewall, it usually suffices to use passive
mode (see FTPClient.enterLocalPassiveMode()) as long as the FTP server
supports it and you don't have draconian outgoing port blocking.  Proxy
support should work just by connecting to the proxy.  There may have been
a fix at some point (rings a bell) for proxies so you might want to try
the latest nightly build or release candidate or build from the cvs HEAD.

daniel