commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [collections] jar file names
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:55:27 GMT
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > As before, if you want to make primitive collections a first class citizen
> > in another commons proper component, then propose that, but it will
> > require some extra work to extract the shared bits from the
> > commons-collections code base.
> OK I'll make a proposal:
> 1) We create a new commons-proper component pcollections? to maintain
> primitive collections.
> 2) Code is copied into pcollections, renaming the package. (or maybe it
> could keep the same package?)
> 3) The code in collections is deprecated, with a snapshot jar being made so
> backwards compatability works.
> 4) [collections] produces a commons-collections-tests.jar file to enable the
> tests to work. This contains only the abstract test class framework from
> collections.

Assuming "pcollections" is up and running (not necessarily released, but
with the code moved over, existing as commons proper component with
nightly builds and all that) before anything is removed, deprecated or
passed over for release from commons-collections, I think I'd support such
a proposal.

On the bikeshed side, I'm not a fan of the name "pcollections", but I
don't have anything better either, so I suppose that'll do.

- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>