commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: [HiveMind] Initializable
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:45:32 GMT

> I would strongly encourage using the proxy. For my taste a
> Service should
> nearly never give out this. That's because in my mind a
> Service is not just
> the implementation but the implementation plus the Interceptors (and
> ServiceModel proxies) and the implementation does not know
> about the other.
> Think of an interceptor which never calls the actual Service
> but has some
> replacement etc.

I agree, which means nothing needs to be passed; if the core implementation needs to vend
out the
proxy, it can use the BuilderFactory to assign the proxy to a property.  Perhaps another attribute
of <contruct> to specify which property it should be assigned to.

> Concerning Threaded model: I'd rather see if
> ServiceImplementations which
> can be used for Threaded must implement a marker interface (as in old
> Servlet-spec). There are just too many implementation
> differences between
> the Singleton and the Threaded. HiveMind should than check that such
> Threaded marked ServiceImpl is never used as Singleton and
> vice-versa.

I think that's an interesting idea; threaded core impls must implement a Threadable marker
interface; pooled implementations must implement a Poolable interface.

Hm.  Marker interfaces as a precurser to JD 1.5 code attributes.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components