commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Oliver Heger" <o.he...@qubix.de>
Subject Re: [configuration][patch] Support for object creation
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:07:59 GMT
Hello Eric,

thank you for your response.

Well, as far as I understand the Digester project, it is a tool that
transforms an XML file into an object hierarchy based on certain rules. So
one could argue that Digester could replace most of the stuff in the
Configuration project by processing (XML) configuration files and creating
specific objects an application could use to access its configuration.

But the approach of Configuration seems to be a bit different and - as I
think - for many applications that just whant to access configuration
properties much easier to use: different configuration sources are collected
and provided to an application as a single Configuration object. So an
application needs only to obtain a Configuration object and query it for
single properties instead of bothering with Digester rules.

What my code does can be simply seen as adding a new data type to the
properties already supported by Configuration: the type configurable object
instance. So like an application can ask a Configuration object for a string
or long property it can now obtain ready initialized objects.

I think this is just an extension to Configuration and does not overlap with
Digester. For an application that uses such configurable objects and that
already is a client of Configuration it would be more convenient to access
these objects directly through Configuration than to set up a set of
Digester rules and call this component, too. My code is also not quite
complicated; the initialization of the newly created object is internally
handled by BeanUtils. The whole thing was intended to be an additional and
easy to implement feature for Configuration.

What do you think?
Oli