commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Shaw" <mikesha...@lycos.co.uk>
Subject using Validator in a non-Struts application
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:06:33 GMT
Hi there, my apologies if this is the wrong forum for my questions, but
I'm having trouble locating information about using Validator outside of
Struts.
My problem may stem directly from my misunderstanding of Validators'
capabilities, but as I understand it Validator can generate
error-messages from a pattern supplied by looking up the value of the
"msg" attribute in a Validator element (in the validator-rules.xml) in
the ValidatorResources instance.  My question is: does Validator perform
this action itself (i.e. look up the error pattern and substitute the
argument values into the pattern and return the resulting string) - if
so, how do you invoke this?  Or is this all left as an exercise for the
user?
I've looked through
http://home.earthlink.net/~dwinterfeldt/overview.html#validatingOutsideO
fStruts but it doesn't quite answer my question.  Any thoughts or links
to relevant examples would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
MikeS