commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Essl <christiane...@yahoo.de>
Subject [HiveMind] New service-model hot-replace/shut-down
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:28:14 GMT
I'd like to suggest a new service-model, which allows to replace and/or
shut-down a service-implementation at runtime. (The latest refactoring
makes this much easier).

The model works basicly like the deferred-model (except that it always
returns the proxy). Initially it is in the deferred state and when the
first request comes it creates the implementation. Different to the
deffere-model all metods are sychronized with a acquireRead() read on a
read-write-lock (reads go unsychnorinzed until some one aquires the write).
When the user wants to shutdown or replace the implementation, the
ServiceExtensionPoint aquires the write-lock. Now all current service-
method-calls can finish and furthers are blocked. Than the proxy just
switches back to the deffered state and does the clean-up on the service-
implementation. In case of hot-replace the ServiceExtensionPoint also
replaces the ServiceImplementationConstructor. Than the write-lock is
released and if a new call comes in the (new)implementation is created
again.

I would say the management could happen through a special service at which
all the hot-replace extension points register.

I think this allows shut-down and replace during run-time and that it is
totally transparent to the whole application. I'm quite sure there are also
no threading issues. As I see the only dissadvantage is that it slows down
the service a bit.

It could be useful for testing and ie togehter with a timer for services
which are rearly used but consume quite a lot of resources.

If there is any intrest I could try to implement such a service-model.