commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Essl <christiane...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] Basic questions about Service
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:19:25 GMT
(I have put your mails together)

> Well there are some instruments involved but a lot of it is basically
> workflow. I am currently envisioning HiveMind to provide the glue between
> the various services that the lab provides.

Oh I see you mean HiveMind services to wrap current lag-services and than
use other services to glue it togehter. That is a good idea. Maybe you
could tell us more when your prototype evolves.

> Do you mean remotability? Could you please share some of the things that
> you think are advantages of J2EE over HiveMind?

Remotability is ceratinly an issue (and a good idea). It is needed for
clustering. I think it could be poosible to provide a Service which is a
sort of Hub/Stub creator and provides Remoteability this way. (Of course
the remote enabled services are than not anymore so free in their interface
definition - and there are also other issues).

As you know J2EE is a lot of things Servlets, EJBs, JMS, JMX, JTM etc etc.
And EJBs alone (I think that's what we are speaking here about) EJBs a lot
of things: transactions, concurrency control, security, persistence, legacy
connectors and remoteability. (However there is nothing which prevents
HiveMind to do the same - it is only a lot of work).

I think the main advantage of EJBs is just that is an industry standard.
When it comes to things like transactions bosses seem to like industry-
standards - when something goes wrong you and they are just in a better
legal or company internal situation. Industry standards have better tool-
support and better connections to legacy-systems.

It is right what Howard says that EJBs are unnecessaraly complicated to
implement and test but they are a standard and fighting standards is hard
(even for Billy G, who basicly says the same about EJBs as Howard).

However thanks to God nothing prevents a inovative good small project like
HiveMind to also become an Industry Standard, but not (or extremely
unlikely) in direct confrontation with an existing. I think it has to find
a field and be there realy the thing you need - like HiveMind has with this
free glueing together.