commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Essl <christiane...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [HiveMind] Basic questions about Service
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 03:07:24 GMT
I think thats realy an intresting question. I mean I don't realy know but I
think - as you do - a Service provides a specific functionality. However I
am not sure wheter this must always be data-hiding - just look at a
database, which provides a good service. I also believe that one of the
first ideas of OO was that you build big systems out of a number of robust
small peaces which have a well defined cloased interface so that they can
evolve independently. That's certainly what services (at least) in HiveMind
are. Another idea I think was that the small pieces can work together
without the need of a central main-component, so that new combinations can
be build flexible. And last I think there is also a notion of competition
on ideas on how to provide a better service to the user - without
centralized normativ control. It is up to the user (and anyone can be user)
what he needs and what service he uses and it is up to the service to
provide well what it promisses - and if it is just data.