commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [doc] how to release - feedback
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 21:56:43 GMT

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 10:21 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > Couple of points. Signing suggests gpg and summing suggests md5sum. These
> > are both linux tools and as Apache doesn't have any linux boxes it makes
> > more sense to me if the instructions are usable on Minotaur.
>
> i've always been very reluctant to advocate running any application on
> daedelus that can be run elsewhere. might be different now that we're on
> minotaur. i'd say that it'd be best running this past infrastructure
> before changing the instructions.

For building projects I agree. Any developer who can't build their code is
in a bit of a dubious position anyway. For packaging code into
zips/tar.gz, it makes sense just to stop the bandwidth being wasted.

For md5/pgp, I'm not as sure. Are these easily everywhere? Are they easy
to get installed on Windows?

I assume the md5 is easy enough for us to put into an ant script or maven
plugin. Not so sure about pgp. Using minotaur for this allows it to work
for everyone.

> > md5sum should be changed to md5
>
> possibly. i prefer openssl. again, adding as an option is cool. removing
> md5sum is a little less so.

I meant as the toold to create the md5's.

> > gpg should be changed to pgp
>
> does an openPGP compatible pgp even work on freeBSD? (sorry if i'm
> displaying my ignorance.)

I don't know about standards. All I know is that 'pgp' and 'md5' are
installed on Minotaur, but 'gpg' and 'md5sum' are not. :) They also seem
to have different outputs. Like the md5 command inserts the name of the
file being md5'd, but the docs don't expect it to be.

> i run gpg fine on linux and macOSX. the web site says that it supported on
> freeBSD, openBSD and netBSD (at least for x86 architecture). if you want
> to add instructions about pgp then that'd be cool but i'd prefer to retain
> the gpg instructions since it's a an implementation of the OpenPGP
> standard.

Windows? While I use Linux to do my builds [or rather, an OS X box logged
into a Linux server], there's nothing in the normal build concepts to
imply that a Windows user cannot do the build, especially as maven and
some ant [okay, Lang's] scripts already do all the zip/tar.gzing for you.

> > [and options need testing etc]
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> i'd prefer to add options rather than replace existing ones. (saves us
> getting into problems about what's official.) but i don't feel strongly
> enough to -1.

I'm happy to add options. Trying to push for minotaur as a minimum for
these two :)

Hen