commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [doc] how to release - feedback
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 03:05:34 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > See: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?SigningReleases

> The Jakarta Commons release docs need to link to this doc. Or at least
> include the 'how to create a key' section. Very useful at getting me
> started on gpg quickly.

Welcome.

> One problem I have with all the release information is that it is all over
> the place, and is not linked to a timeline. I need to wait for 24 hours at
> some point for mirrors to catch up, but am unsure exactly where that fits.

Now you seem to contradict yourself.  You just suggested possibly
"including" the section because it was helpful, but now you are complaining
about the material being all over the place.  I agree with the latter
complaint.  It is definitely one of my pet peeves.

My view is "Linking good.  Replication bad."  Replicating this information
all over the ASF sites, makes it harder to maintain, and results in
disparate copies of things.  For example, we have the general signing page,
which dates back to sometime last year.  But then just a week ago, another
page with similar information
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonReleaseManagerHowto/Signi
ngReleases) was created.  Personally, I think that the Avalon  Release
Manager page is good, but it should have linked to the common page on
signing, where he could always have contributed elaborated information
rather than creating an ad hoc page.

This sort of thing led me to start a Wiki page just for the purpose of
tracking this sort of redundant content
(http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PoliciesAndProcedures).  If
you find additional pages, please do update the preceeding so that we can
locate all of that stuff.

As for your question, as far as I know, you do a release as normal.  Many
mirrors don't take that long to synchronize, anyway.  If you were to delay
anything, it seems to me that you could delay announcing the release.  I see
from another message that you came to the same conclusion.

	--- Noel