commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [beanutils][lang] BeanFactory Proposal
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:18:33 GMT
On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 12:00 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> My vision for [convert] is a very small core (2 or 3 classes) plus
> pluggable
> convertors. Not an unusual design, however [convert] should package the
> convertors into a core and optional jar, or alternatively just list some
> dependencies as optional. That way adding a dependency to a third party
> date
> time library like Joda, or to [lang] for Enums or for JDK1.4 for Currency
> becomes simpler.

my experience is that the user demand is for a comprehensive
out-of-the-box solution. they want folks such as yourself to do the hard
thinking so they don't have to. i'm working on conversions for betwixt at
the moment so maybe i'll try to feed back analysis of some of the wrinkles
back here.

> Whether [beanutils] ever depends on a [convert] is a different matter of
> course.

i think that beanutils will end up with optional dependencies concentrated
in a org,apache.commons.beanutils.optional directory. (a bit like ant.)
but i don't have the energy to push beanutils forward and all the other
stuff at the moment so it'll have to wait.

- robert