commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject [PROPOSAL] retiring old release directory
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 21:19:01 GMT
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/release is the old,
unmirrored directory. most (all?) new releases have been created in the
mirrored directories (good work!) but there are still many older releases
there and some components do not have mirrored releases available.

now that infrastructure have completed the move to minotaur, it's time
that we think about implementing the official ASF distribution policy.
(all committers should have read received this posted to their apache
account.) this is important since the ASF have only a limited amount of
bandwidth to supply both the website and downloads.

i'll volunteer to execute the necessary changes. my plan is:

1. ensure the latest release for every component is available from the
mirrors
2. copy all older releases to the archives
3. redirect all requests under the directory structure to a new page
explaining that you should use the mirrors and giving links to the jakarta
download pages
4. delete the old directory structure

this decision will be taken by lazy consensus so unless anyone objects (or
finds some flaws in my plan ;), i'll start executing this plan some time
after 12 noon GMT wednesday.

- robert